Sunday, December 9, 2018

Debut picture book coming in 2019

I am sorry to have been so much absent. There are so many things I want to share monthly, but time is in short supply for me, and writing here always seems to be at the bottom of the list. I will try to get in the habit of posting more again. When I don't get to things right away, then there is never enough time to circle back to them later.

If you have been following me on social media, like instagram, twitter or facebook, you found out that I have my debut picture book coming out in March 2019 with Pomegranate. It's a beautifully written manuscript by Vivian Kirkfield, that I got to make wood engravings for. The book is an animal counting book that features endangered species and has great STEM material on the back about each animal featured in the book. 

Illustrating has always been a dream of mine, and with a lot of hard work and courage, that dream is finally coming true.
There were a lot of twists and turns in making sketches into wood engravings, into illustrations. I'll break down and share the whole process with you in the next few posts. There are a lot of steps to normal book illustration, but when you add the printmaking steps to it, you can't fit it into one post anymore. LOL

Right now we are getting promotional materials ready for the launch which happens in March-April 2019. The great coincidence is, that April 22 is also Earth day and the theme for 2019 is: "Protect our species". Our book fits snugly right in that theme! It works well for a wide age group and I hope lots of parents, libraries, schools and home schools will get lots of mileage out of it. (I'm also working on FREE work sheets, coloring pages etc to go with it...)

Please come back soon to see how the illustrations were made up close and personal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO happy for you Mirka. Can’t wait to get your book. Lib Et.